CBD products have seen a huge rise in popularity over the past four years, beginning when the Agricultural Act of 2014 allowed the growth of industrial hemp. CBD oil has gained serious traction in the alternative medicine market, where it is reported to help with sleep disorders, migraines, pain relief (especially neck pain), anxiety, and even epilepsy. Because it contains 0–.3% THC (the psychoactive cannabinoid in marijuana), CBD appeals to a wide range of people, including those who would not have used medical marijuana due to the head high they would experience.
There are countless brands on the web trying to entice you to buy their CBD tinctures. With so many brands vying for your attention, where do you begin? How do you know what CBD to buy, and who to buy it from? Which companies can you trust to be honest about their extraction methods and ingredients?
With so many CBD products popping up all over the market, you might find it overwhelming trying to decide which companies to buy from. Lucky for you, we’ve put together a list of the seven best CBD tinctures on the market.
The Best CBD Oil Tinctures Online in 2020:
- SabaiDee | Read Review
- NuLeaf | Read Review
- Medterra | Read Review
- CBDistillery | Read Review
- PlusCBD Oil | Read Review
- cbdMD | Read Review
- Spruce | Read Review
- Fab CBD | Read Review
Tincture recommendations last updated January 1st, 2020
One quick thing before you check out our top recommended CBD products: CannaHealth was not paid to include any of these companies on our list. We may, however, receive a small commission from some of these brands if you click through and make a purchase (at no additional charge to you). I will assure you that these products are the best you can buy, and we 100% stand behind them.
- Flavors Available: Cool mint
- Price: Good Vibes $48.95, Super Good Vibes $119.95, Mega Good Vibes $249.95
- Strength/Variety: Good Vibes 250mg (8.33mg serving), Super Good Vibes 100mg (33.5mg serving), Mega Good Vibes 2500mg (88.33mg serving)
- Ingredients: Broad-spectrum hemp extract (THC-free), MCT oil, organic peppermint oil and stevia leaf extract for flavor
- Transparency: SabaiDee extracts their CBD oils from Colorado hemp using CO2 extraction. Everything is tested both in-house and by a third-party lab, with the lab results available for viewing on the website.
- Customer Service/Shipping: Free 3-7 day shipping for all US orders, with Rush Shipping available. Customer service hours are 10am to 5pm Central Time. SabaiDee offers a 30-day return policy, along with a unique trial program. Under their 100% Happiness Guarantee, you can try out their tinctures for 30 days, and if you don’t like them, return them for a partial refund.
Check out our in-depth Sabaidee review.
Get 15% off Sabaidee CBD Oil with code: “cannahealth”
SabaiDee entered the CBD industry looking to make a difference. The company’s founders wanted to help people live happier and more productive lives by sharing the benefits of CBD. But they were shocked by many of the bad practices rampant in the CBD industry—misleading labels, questionable manufacturing processes meant to maximize profits, and a lack of transparency about sourcing and quality testing.
So Sabaidee set a higher standard for itself. Their hemp is 100% organic and grown at state-registered farms in Colorado. From hemp to final product, Sabaidee oversees the entire manufacturing process and rigorously monitors each step with in-house quality testing.
On top of their in-house testing, Sabaidee also sends out samples of each product batch to be tested by an independent, third-party lab to verify potency and screen for potential contaminants. Customers can view these test results online.
As a result, Sabaidee CBD oil is some of the best out there. Made without any fillers, this company’s CBD oil contains just full-spectrum hemp extract, medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil from coconut, and natural peppermint oil for flavor. They offer three potencies (8.33 mg, 33.5 mg, and 88.3 mg of CBD per serving) to suit a wide range of customer needs.
And if pure, high-quality CBD oil wasn’t enough, Sabaidee also has a strong commitment to giving back. Sabaidee is helping to make the world a healthier, happier, and greener place in more ways than one. For every order made on the company’s website, Sabaidee will plant one tree in North America to help promote reforestation efforts.
The bottom line: With high-quality CBD oil, Sabaidee further distinguishes itself from the competition with its dedication to the environment.
- Flavors Available: Unflavored only
- Price: $38.50, $99.00, $179.00, $239.00, $439.00
- Strength/Variety: 240mg, 725mg, 1450mg, 2425mg, 4850mg (all with 50mg servings)
- Ingredients: Full-spectrum hemp extract
- Transparency: NuLeaf Naturals tinctures are created from 100% organic, Colorado hemp using CO2 extraction. Everything is third-party tested for quality and purity, with lab results available upon request.
- Customer Service/Shipping: Free 2-3 day shipping for all US orders, with expedited shipping available. Customer service is responsive. NuLeaf Naturals ships to over 40 countries and offers a 30-day return policy.
Check out our in-depth NuLeaf Naturals review.
Get 15% off NuLeaf CBD Oil with code: “cannahealth
When it comes to CBD oil, NuLeaf Naturals is practically a veteran of the industry. Founded in 2014, this company has been offering simple, no-nonsense legal CBD for five years. NuLeaf uses specially bred therapeutic hemp plants that contain high levels of CBD and other beneficial cannabinoids like CBC, CBG, and CBN while maintaining low levels of the psychoactive cannabinoid THC.
All of NuLeaf’s hemp plants are grown on licensed farms in Colorado using sustainable and 100% organic farming practices. Nuleaf’s CBD oils are made using whole plant extraction. That means the final product is a full-spectrum rather than CBD isolate. Moreover, NuLeaf doesn’t include any additives like preservatives, emulsifiers, or even flavors so the final product remains in its purest form.
Every product batch is verified for quality and safety by an independent, third-party testing lab. Lab testing ensures that each bottle of NuLeaf CBD oil contains the right amount of CBD and is free of over 200 different pesticides, heavy metals, and mycotoxin contaminants. Customers can look up quality testing results here.
Over the years, NuLeaf has positioned itself as the true CBD oil specialist. CBD oil is all they do and they’re really good at it. While some companies try to do it all and miss the mark, NuLeaf has stayed laser-focused on making consistently high-quality CBD oil.
NuLeaf only offers one concentration of CBD oil, 50 mg/ml, and the ingredients are as simple as it gets: USDA Certified organic hemp oil and full spectrum hemp extract. NuLeaf essentially has only one product. But this strategy allows them to keep their prices reasonable and offer bulk buying options—you can buy a bottle of NuLeaf CBD oil containing 240 mg total CBD all the way up to 4,850 mg.
The bottom line: if you’re a CBD oil purist, NuLeaf is the brand for you.
- Flavors Available: Unflavored only
- Price: $34.99, $55.99, $132.99
- Strength/Variety: 500mg (16mg serving), 1000mg (33mg serving), 3000mg (100mg serving)
- Ingredients: CBD isolate (99.6% CBD), MCT oil
- Transparency: Medterra sources their non-GMO, organic hemp from Kentucky farms. After CO2 extraction, all of their CBD oils go through additional processing to remove other cannabinoids and plant materials, producing an oil that’s 99% pure CBD. All of their tinctures are tested by a third-party lab, with results available on the website.
- Customer Service/Shipping: 1-2 day shipping, with several expedited shipping options available. Customer service is available Monday through Saturday. Medterra offers a 30-day return policy.
Check out our in-depth Medterra review.
Use code: “cannahealth15” to get 15% off Medterra CBD Oil
Medterra fills a specific niche in the CBD industry by offering completely THC-free CBD oil. While most full-spectrum CBD oils contain trace levels of THC (0.3% or less), all of Medterra’s products are 99+% pure CBD with zero THC.
To achieve this, Medterra uses CBD isolate for all of its products, including its CBD oil. That means Medterra CBD oil is not full-spectrum. And while many seek out full-spectrum CBD oil to take advantage of the entourage effect, others have been forced to avoid legal CBD altogether due to trace levels of THC.
0.3% THC may not seem like much. It’s certainly not enough to get anyone high. But if you’re subject to mandatory drug testing because of your job or other life circumstance, the exposure isn’t worth the risk. This makes Medterra a great option for those looking to avoid even trace levels of THC.
And like all of the other companies on our list, Medterra holds itself to a high standard. Certified by the U.S. Hemp Authority, Medterra uses hemp sourced from Kentucky that’s grown and extracted under the guidelines of the Kentucky Department of Agriculture Hemp Pilot Program.
That means all their products are sourced and made in the United States. Medterra’s hemp is non-GMO, and every batch of CBD oil is tested by a third-party lab to verify potency and safety.
Medterra offers CBD oil tinctures in a range of potencies: 16 mg, 33 mg, and 100 mg of CBD per serving. Medterra CBD oils are made from only two ingredients: MCT oil and CBD isolate.
The bottom line: Medterra is a great option if you’re looking for high-quality CBD oil that’s also THC-free.
- Flavors Available: Unflavored only
- Price: $30.00, $45.00, $70.00, $155.00, $260.00 (pricing is for their full-spectrum varieties, THC-free oils are usually a few dollars cheaper)
- Strength/Variety: 250mg (8mg serving), 500mg (17mg serving), 1000mg (33mg serving), 2500mg (83mg serving), 5000mg (167mg serving)
- Ingredients: Full-spectrum hemp extract or CBD isolate, MCT oil
- Transparency: CBDistillery sources their non-GMO hemp from Colorado farms, and uses the CO2 extraction method. All of their tinctures are certified by the U.S. Hemp Authority, indicating their commitment to quality. CBDistillery submits all of their CBD oils to a third-party lab for testing and shares the results on their website.
- Customer Service/Shipping: Free 3-7 day shipping for US orders of $75 or more, $5 standard shipping for orders below $75, with Priority shipping available. Customer service hours are weekdays, 8am to 5pm Mountain Time. CBDistillery offers a 7-day return policy.
Check out our in-depth CBDistillery Review.
Get 15% off CBDistillery CBD Oil with code: “cannahealth”
CBDistillery is another veteran of the CBD industry. Founded in Colorado back in 2013, the company’s founders were already active players in the cannabis industry, but they kept hearing similar complaints from customers, friends, and family.
People were interested in the therapeutic benefits of medical cannabis yet cannabis seemed inaccessible. They either worried about the psychoactive effects or they were living in a state where medical cannabis was still illegal.
As a result, CBDistillery’s founders came together to bring people legal access to high-quality, cost-effect CBD products. Since its founding, the CBDistillery has grown quickly. The company is now one of the country’s largest producers of hemp-based CBD products sold in over 1500 retailers across the U.S.
The CBDistillery has two main strengths. The first is its variety of options. The CBDistillery offers CBD oil tinctures in a wide range of concentrations from 17mg up to 88 mg of CBD per serving. But what really sets the company apart is that they offer both full-spectrum and THC-free CBD oil options. Most people gravitate towards full-spectrum CBD oil to take advantage of the entourage effect. But with THC-free CBD oil, you can enjoy the benefits and effects of CBD even if you’re subject to mandatory drug testing.
The company’s second strength is trust. The CBDistillery has done a lot to build trust with its customers, including transparent, third-party lab testing, quality control over every step of its manufacturing process, and no gimmicks. CBDistillery CBD oil is made using U.S. Hemp Authority-certified, non-GMO, industrial hemp grown in America using natural farming practices.
The bottom line: for quality CBD oil that comes with the most options, CBDistillery is your best bet.
- Flavors Available: Unflavored, Peppermint, Goji Blueberry
- Price: $41.95, $89.95, $145.95
- Strength/Variety: 250mg (3mg serving), 750mg (5mg serving), 1500mg (9mg serving)
- Ingredients: Full-spectrum hemp extract, olive oil, peppermint oil and natural flavors
- Transparency: PlusCBD Oil sources their hemp from European farms to keep costs low, while maintaining high-quality standards in other areas, such as their use of CO2 extraction and multiple rounds of testing. All of their tinctures undergo rigorous testing by both in-house and third-party labs, with results available on the website.
- Customer Service/Shipping: Free 3-5 day shipping for all US orders, with expedited and international shipping available. Customer service is available weekdays, 7am to 5pm Pacific Time. PlusCBD Oil offers a 14-day return policy.
Read our in-depth PlusCBD Oil Review
|Get 20% off PlusCBD Oil with code: “Cannahealth”
Owned by CV Sciences, PlusCBD Oil applies experience from the pharmaceutical industry to CBD. The company’s mission: optimize human health with the endless potential of hemp. Using state of the art production facilities and the guidance of a scientific advisory board, PlusCBD Oil is another high-quality purveyor of CBD oil that really takes CBD seriously.
PlusCBD Oil is one of the few companies that doesn’t source their hemp from the United States. Although the company is working to move its hemp farming to the United States, PlusCBD Oil currently imports hemp grown in Europe. But don’t let that worry you. PlusCBD Oil is still certified by the U.S. Hemp Authority, meaning they follow high standards, industry best practices, and self-regulation.
Additionally, PlusCBD oil is incredibly rigorous and transparent when it comes to testing their products and sharing the results. They perform thorough in-house testing to verify potency and screen for contaminants. PlusCBD Oil also validates its own in-house testing with independent third-party testing via DB Labs to ensure all products are free of pesticides, fungicides, residual solvents, heavy metals, and microbiological contamination.
PlusCBD Oil offers three different CBD oil formulations. The Total Plant Complex formulation is unflavored and made with extra virgin olive oil. It also has the fewest additives of all of their oils and contains 4 mg of CBD per serving. The Gold Formula comes in unflavored, goji berry, and peppermint flavors with options for 3 mg, 5 mg, or 9 mg of CBD per serving. And the Raw Formula is available in 1mg and 3mg concentrations. It’s high in CBDA which has unique therapeutic properties distinct from CBD.
The bottom line: PlusCBD Oil offers science-backed, high-quality CBD oil, however, their tinctures are lower potency and contain more additives than other options on our list.
- Flavors Available: Unflavored, Berry, Orange, and Mint
- Price: $29.99, $59.99, $69.99, $99.99, $149.99, $239.99, $339.99
- Strength/Variety: 300mg (10mg serving), 750mg (25mg serving), 1000mg*(16.6mg serving), 1500mg (50mg serving), 3000mg (100mg serving), 5000mg (166.67mg serving), 7500mg (250mg serving)
- Ingredients: CBD isolate, MCT oil, and natural mint, orange, or berry extracts for flavoring
- Transparency: cbdMD uses 100% organic Kentucky hemp. They use CO2 extraction with additional processing to create their THC-free oils. Any flavored versions of their tinctures use all-natural extracts, and third-party test results are posted on the website.
- Customer Service/Shipping: Free 3-7 day shipping for all US orders, with faster shipping rates available. Customer service is responsive. cbdMD offers a 30-day money back guarantee.
Check out our in-depth cbdMD review.
Use code: “cannahealth” to get 15% off cbdMD CBD Oil
Similar to Medterra, cbdMD is another company that specializes in THC-free CBD oil. However, there’s a key difference between Medterra and cbdMD. Medterra uses CBD isolate. That means Medterra CBD oil contains just CBD. But cbdMD CBD oil is broad-spectrum.
So what’s the difference? Broad-spectrum represents a happy medium between full-spectrum and CBD isolate. Broad-spectrum uses a special process that removes THC without removing other beneficial cannabinoid and terpene compounds. That means cbdMD products are all THC-free but still pack an extra punch thanks to the entourage effect.
Making broad-spectrum CBD oil takes attention to detail as well as an innovative manufacturing process. We think this makes cbdMD stand out from other CBD oil producers.
And of course, cbdMD has all the additional trappings of a grade A CBD brand. Their hemp is non-GMO and grown in the United States. And all of cbdMD CBD oil is tested throughout each step of the production process and then sent out for more extensive third-party testing by an independent lab.
cbdMD CBD oil contains simple ingredients—CBD-rich hemp extract, MCT oil from coconut, and natural flavors. It’s available in unflavored, berry, orange, or mint flavors. And cbdMD has the widest range of potencies we’ve found from 10 mg of CBD per serving all the way up to 250 mg of CBD per serving. Plus all U.S. orders get free shipping and are backed by a 30-day, money-back guarantee.
The bottom line: cbdMD offers a unique, broad-spectrum CBD oil with high-potency options and close attention to detail and quality.
- Flavors Available: Unflavored and peppermint
- Price: $89.00, $269.00
- Strength/Variety: 750mg (25mg serving), 2400mg (80mg serving)
- Ingredients: Full-spectrum hemp extract, organic hemp seed oil, natural flavors
- Transparency: Spruce sources their hemp from Kentucky and North Carolina farms. Their tinctures are extracted using ethanol as a natural solvent, ensuring a high amount of CBD, other cannabinoids like CBN and CBC, and beneficial plant minerals in the final full-spectrum extract. Everything is third-party tested.
- Customer Service/Shipping: 2-4 day shipping for US orders. Customer service is available weekdays from 9am to 5pm, Eastern Time. Spruce offers a 30-day return policy for unused products.
Check out our in-depth Spruce Review.
Get 15% off Spruce CBD Oil with code: “cannahealth”
Founded in 2018, Spruce Natural Labs makes high-potency, full-spectrum CBD products from American-grown, organic hemp. While this North Carolina-based brand is a relative newcomer to the CBD game, it’s already making waves with its simple selection of high-quality, high potency CBD oils.
Spruce was founded by Tony Spencer, who had a clear mission for his company—give people access to safe and effective lab-grade, hemp-based CBD. Spencer realized that many other CBD oils on the market were low-potency and simply didn’t work. “We have a lot of customers in pain who have wasted money on CBD products in the past that didn’t work for them,” remarks Spruce on their website.
You won’t have to worry about potency with Spruce CBD. That’s because the potency of Spruce’s CBD oils are verified by a third-party testing lab. Spruce carries both regular and high potency CBD oil formulations. Spruce’s regular potency CBD oil contains a moderate dose of 25 mg of CBD per serving while their max potency formulation packs a strong dose of 80 mg of CBD per serving.
Spruce’s CBD oil also contains simple, natural ingredients (organic hemp seed oil and full-spectrum hemp extract) with no additives. Their moderate potency CBD oil comes in a refreshing, natural peppermint flavor. But to maintain the concentration of their more potent formulation, Spruce leaves its max potency CBD oil unflavored.
The bottom line: Spruce may be new to the CBD oil game, but this company’s line of CBD oils places an emphasis on quality and potency. And they don’t place quantity over quality. Their devotion to small-batch size and rigorous quality testing really shines through in the final product.
- Flavors Available: Unflavored, Citrus, Mint, Berry, Vanilla
- Price: $49.00, $69.00, $89.00, $139.00
- Strength/Variety: 150mg (2.5mg serving), 300mg (5mg serving), 600mg (10mg serving), 1200mg (20mg serving)
- Ingredients: Full-spectrum hemp extract, fractionated coconut oil, natural flavors
- Transparency: Fab CBD tinctures are created from organic Colorado hemp using the CO2 extraction process. As full-spectrum CBD oils, their tinctures contain CBD and a rich blend of cannabinoids, terpenes, and other plant materials. All third-party lab results are posted on the website.
- Customer Service/Shipping: Free 4-7 day shipping for US orders over $89, with $3.79 shipping for orders below $89. Customer service is available weekdays from 9am to 6pm, Central Time. Fab CBD offers a 30-day return policy.
Check out our in-depth Fab CBD Review.
|Get Fab CBD Oil for 15% off with code: “CANNAHEALTH”|
Founded in 2017, Fab CBD is another newer addition to the CBD industry. But don’t be fooled. The company’s founders have a combined 25 years of experience in the health, fitness, and supplement industries. And as a team, they’re dedicated to helping Fab CBD customers build more productive lives and perform at the highest level through the benefits of CBD.
Fab CBD sources 100% organically grown hemp from Colorado and their hemp farms use zero pesticides. It would be nice to see Fab CBD share a bit more info about their manufacturing process. However, all their CBD oils are tested by the independent, third-party testing lab ProVerde Laboratories, and the results speak for themselves.
With ProVerde, Fab CBD tests it’s CBD oil for potency, terpenes, and pesticides and makes all the results available for customers to view. But it’s surprising that Fab CBD doesn’t test for other common hemp contaminants like heavy metals.
Fab CBD offers an extensive line of deliciously flavored full-spectrum CBD oils in a broad range of potencies. You can choose between citrus, vanilla, mint, berry, and natural flavors and potencies of 5 mg, 10 mg, 20 mg, 40 mg, or 80 mg of CBD per serving. And like all of our favorite CBD brands, Fab CBD uses minimal ingredients with no additives—just hemp extract, coconut oil, and natural flavors.
Orders over $89 ship for free within the United States and items can be returned within 30 days for a full refund.
The bottom line: Fab CBD offers a solid selection of reasonably priced CBD oil with a great selection of flavors.
How We Determined the Best CBD Oil
If you’re new to this, you might have a lot of questions about how we decided the top CBD products to recommend above the ones we don’t recommend. Here are the categories we used to help differentiate between the the best and the rest.
Potency (How Strong is the Dose)
If you are new to the world of CBD, it is definitely best for you to start with a lower dosage and work your way up from there. Some of the tinctures listed below have as few as 240mg of cannabidiol per bottle, while others are as high as 4850mg. While stronger isn’t always better, we appreciate those brands that have different options available to address different needs. Also, keep in mind that while a lower dose can give you more control over the amount you consume, a higher concentration is usually more cost effective. Higher concentrations will also contain more beneficial cannabinoids.
Flavor vs unflavored CBD
Medicine that you won’t take is not effective medicine. Taste matters, and we love brands that have a variety to choose from.
Unflavored hemp oil has a strong grassy and earthy taste. Some people enjoy the taste of natural hemp, but it’s not particularly popular. If a shot of wheatgrass sounds like a terrible idea, you’ll probably want to gravitate toward something with a more…palatable flavor. If you’re not sure, you can always start with a simple flavor you know you’ll enjoy, like mint or lemon, and get more adventurous over time.
If you don’t like the flavors offered, some companies sell water soluble unflavored oil, giving you the versatility of blending your CBD into your own liquids (like juice or smoothies).
Not all CBD is created equally. Some tinctures are created with little regard to overall consumer safety, and may contain harmful chemicals and pesticides. Other CBD products have been shown to differ from what the label says, either with way more cannabidiol, or way less. In some cases, the THC content was elevated above the federal legal limit for hemp extracts.
All of the products we recommend test their products to make sure that they both contain nothing harmful, and that the dosage on the bottle is actually what’s present in the tincture.
Sourcing and Extraction Method
Quality CBD oil comes from a quality source. CBD oil can be extracted from the hemp plant in a variety of ways. The safest, and most efficient methods, use carbon dioxide or ethanol as a solvent to separate the CBD from the hemp plant. All of the tinctures below are extracted from pesticide-free hemp grown on local farms in the United States, all of which are registered with their state’s industrial hemp pilot program, or organic-certified farms in Europe.
Many of these CBD brands run seed-to-shelf operations, overseeing the entire production process from the harvesting of their hemp all the way to bottling and distribution.
We’d be lying if we said costs didn’t matter. As in all things, with CBD oil tinctures you generally get what you pay for. Some of the products we recommend below are small and inexpensive (so you’re not sacrificing quality to buy inexpensive CBD oil, but rather, are just getting a smaller overall amount at once). Other products contain a higher potency formula, so even though the amount of liquid in the bottle may be the same, the amount of cannabinoids will vary greatly. Overall, prices range from as low as around $30 to over $400.
Shipping and Customer Service
If you’ve ever ordered something online and waited weeks for your package to show up, you know how important shipping speed can be. If you are looking for a remedy for chronic pain, we’re going to guess you probably don’t want to have to wait too long for your order. We’ve broken down the prices and speeds of each company’s shipping so that you’re not left wondering when your purchase will arrive.
All companies on this list have proven track records for outstanding customer service.
Why We Love Them
Sure they sell quality CBD oil, but what sets them apart from the rest? From bacon-flavored dog tincture to discounts for veterans, we list our favorite things about each company so you know what makes them unique.
What Types of CBD Oil Products Are There?
Don’t let the name confuse you. CBD oil comes in many shapes and forms besides the traditional oils that we’ve highlighted here. CBD tinctures are the most popular type of CBD oil, because they tend to have more potent concentrations and offer high bioavailability (e.g. more CBD gets absorbed through your bloodstream when you apply it beneath your tongue as a tincture). Plus, users typically begin to feel the effects within minutes.
But, there are many other types of CBD oil products besides tinctures, including:
- CBD capsules: These are gel capsules or tablets that you swallow like any other pill. People prefer capsules because dosing is precise (each pill contains a specific amount of CBD), they’re easy to travel with, and they’re easy to remember to take along with your daily vitamin. However, it does take longer to feel the effects of CBD with capsules (up to 90 minutes), since the capsule has to be processed by your digestive system first.
- CBD vape oils: The fastest way to experience CBD is by inhaling it. CBD vape oils are available in many flavors, and can be added as drops to a refillable vape cartridge you already own, or come as a standalone vape cartridge. You can even find disposable CBD vape pens for a travel-ready option.
- CBD gummies: Like CBD capsules, CBD gummies and other edibles have to travel through your digestive system before entering your bloodstream, so it can take longer to feel the effects. However, these are popular among those who don’t like the natural hempy flavor of CBD and don’t mind the added sugar.
- CBD topicals: Many people take CBD to manage chronic pain. These folks may find CBD topicals particularly therapeutic, as they can massage the CBD into the skin of the area causing them pain. Dosing can be more imprecise with CBD topicals, and you may need to reapply often to continue feeling the effect. CBD topicals describes a broad category of products including CBD balms, lotions, chopsticks, and creams.
These are the most common categories of CBD oil products you’ll see, although brands regularly introduce new, innovative products, from CBD chewing gum to CBD shampoo.
How Much CBD Should You Take?
Finding your dose is arguably the trickiest part of taking CBD. As a newer wellness therapy, CBD oil is as yet unregulated by the FDA, so it’s up to you to find the best dose for you, since no official guidelines exist. Fortunately, CBD manufacturers and users have stepped up to provide their own recommendations.
Generally, your dose depends on two key factors: your body weight and the severity of your symptoms. The more you weigh, and the more severe your symptoms, the more CBD you’ll likely need to take to feel relief. Although, every person has a unique body chemistry and personal receptivity to CBD, so don’t be worried if you find a lower or higher dose to be more effective for you than what’s “typical.” What’s important if that you find a dose that works!
CBD is described in milligrams. Most people find a dose of 1 to 6 milligrams of CBD for every 10 pounds of their body weight to be effective. If you’re new to CBD, it’s highly recommended that you start with the lowest suggested dose. For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, you would start with a 15mg dose of CBD. See how that makes you feel. If you don’t feel any effects after a few days, you can gradually keep increasing your dose until you land on the right amount.
That’s the first math exercise you’ll need to perform. The second happens once you have a CBD product you’d like to try.
Translating Your CBD Dose into Serving Sizes
CBD oil tinctures typically come in two bottle sizes: 15 milliliter/0.5 ounce, or 30 milliliter/1 ounce. The included dropper may be graduated, in which case you’ll be able to see milliliter markings. Otherwise, you can assume a full dropper equates to 1ml.
Each CBD oil will state the total concentration of CBD in the bottle. On the ingredient label on the back, it will also state the total amount of CBD per serving. Pay attention to whether a serving is a full-dropper, or half-dropper, as it varies by brand.
- Calculate your dose of CBD based on your body weight, assuming 1 milligram for every 10 pounds.
- Review the amount of CBD included in a full- or half-dropper of your tincture.
- If the tincture serving size matches your dose, great. If not, you can adjust accordingly. For example, if your dose is 25mg of CBD, and a full-dropper provides 50mg of CBD, you would only need to take a half-dropper.
Does CBD Have Any Side Effects?
One of the best things about CBD oil is that side effects are rare. However, they can happen. The most common side effects include:
- Changes in appetite or weight
While less common, other side effects can include nausea, dry mouth, and low blood pressure. If you start to notice any of these side effects, stop taking the CBD immediately and consult a doctor. Sometimes, lowering the dose of CBD is sufficient to remove the side effect.
Studies confirm that CBD is generally well-tolerated by humans, even when used chronically and in doses as high as 1,500 milligrams per day. However, there are a few risk groups who should avoid CBD. These include:
- People taking other medications: When side effects are reported, it’s often by this group. CBD appears to have a similar effect to grapefruit on the liver’s ability to metabolize certain drugs, which can lead to adverse side effects. Generally, if a medication has a grapefruit warning, you should avoid taking CBD. Although, if you are on any medication you should talk to your doctor before starting CBD, to ensure you won’t expect any negative interactions.
- Pregnant or breastfeeding women: Because researchers don’t want to put the mother or fetus in danger, clinical studies typically don’t include pregnant and breastfeeding women. As a result, physicians can’t definitively say whether or not CBD is safe for expecting and new mothers. Not enough research has been done. However, one study did find that CBD increased the permeability of the placental barrier, which could put the fetus at risk.
- Children: Like pregnant and breastfeeding women, clinical research among child-aged participants is less common. To date, much of the research of CBD with children has involved children with severe pediatric epilepsy. This research found CBD oil to be effective in symptom management, leading to the first FDA-approved drug containing CBD. However, the efficacy and safety of CBD for children has not been studied sufficiently to know if it has any long-term effects.
Even if you don’t fall into one of the risk groups above, it’s a good idea to speak with a doctor before you start taking CBD. They can help advise you on the optimal dose, and whether you might expect any side effects based on your personal health history.
Is CBD Oil Legal?
With the passing of the 2018 Farm Bill, the U.S. government legalized CBD oil at the federal level, nationwide. This bill accomplished a few things: it legalized hemp grown as part of an industrial hemp pilot program, and removed it from the controlled substances list.
Because CBD oils extracted from industrial hemp, they are legal nationwide, and will also not get you high—as this plant naturally contains high concentrations of CBD, and low concentrations of THC (0.3% or less), the psychoactive cannabinoid present in marijuana.
However, there are still three states where the legal status of CBD is murky. Idaho, Nebraska, and South Dakota still have laws that are written in such a way that criminalizes CBD.
Where Can You Buy CBD Oil?
The CBD industry is booming right now, and CBD products are popping up everywhere. Here’s a quick review of the many places you can purchase CBD oils.
At CannaHealth, we recommend purchasing directly from the retailer’s online website. This is the best way to ensure you get the lowest price, especially if you use one of our affiliate codes. Many brands also offer free shipping discounts, customer loyalty programs, and other perks that enhance the value of buying online.
If you’d prefer to buy in person, you have a few other options. First, you can see if the brand you like has any brick-and-mortar locations of their own, or if they sell their products through retail partners. If they do, they’ll have a searchable list or map on their website so you can find a store near you.
Finally, CBD oils are sold in many health and wellness stores, supplement shops, and dispensaries.